Why are some GMS users unable to authenticate to Microsoft Active Directory on Windows 2003 server?
Apart from its own propriety storage, GMS is able to authenticate to a number of external depositories to acquire user accounts. These include any OBDC complaint database, Windows SAM, Active Directory, LDAP, Unix user groups, etc.
Having recently upgraded the Operating System that GMS resides on to Windows 2003 server and enabling Active Directory user authentication within GMS, I am noticing sporadic failures showing the following symptoms…
- Expanding the java applet in GMS to display user accounts results in a significant number of users not being displayed.
- Attempting to authenticate using either POP, IMAP or WebMail may result in the user not being found.
- Mail sent to different users is returned to sender.
Microsoft have acknowledged that this is a problem with their software, not GMS. Microsoft support have provided the following feedback on this particular issue.
"The problem relates to an undocumented bug concerning Kerberos authentication and third party programs. This will be fixed no sooner than Service Pack 1 for Server 2003 that may appear in December."
- How can I authenticate against Active Directory Services Interface (ADSI)?
- What is Active Directory (AD)?
Keywords:authenticate microsoft ad active directory