I set up all the autoresponders for the CEOs of the company. These generally consist of a variety of meetings and conferences they will be in attendance at. The default subject is "Holiday Message" which is inappropriate. How do I change this?
As an admin, you can change the subject, or indeed any header field, through the use of the GUI where you add the autoresponse message.
Go to Users>select the domain and then the user>autoresponse and on this page you will see a space for the headers and the body of the message.
To change the subject, in the left hand drop-down menu, select "subject" and leave the right drop down menu alone (it defaults to %date%).
Replace the %date% (or whatever is to the left of Subject: in the edit box) with the text that you wish to appear in the subject of the message that goes back to the user. Once set, when an autoresponse is sent is response to a message being sent to that email account by another user, an autoresponse will be sent with that message in the Subject: field.
The %variable% when used will be replaced with whatever variable you have specified from the email sent to the autoresponder. These are the possible values you may wish to use:
- %subject% ? the message subject.
- %from% ? the complete From clause.
- %from-email% ? e-mail address in the From clause.
- %from-user% ? if this is in the From clause, the user’s name, otherwise their e-mail address.
- %to-email% ? the e-mail address in the To clause.
- %to-user% ? if this is in the To clause, the user’s name, otherwise their e-mail address.
- %date% ? the time stamp on the message.
- %cc% ? any CC names the message has.
- %message% ? the entire message body.
- %header% ? the entire message header.
These fields are replaced by the appropriate string from the incoming message.
Alternatively, hardcode a subject of your choice into the ‘Header Clauses’ box such as:
Subject: I am on vacation
Keywords:autoresponder autoresponse holiday message