How do I re-create the Softalk Business Server Data Source (DSN).
- The SoftalkBusinessServer DSN has been accidentally deleted
- The server is being re-installed using a backup database or when the server is being moved to a new computer
The DSN is a named Data Source that is used by the Softalk Business Server components to connect to the database. (either a Jet or SQL Server database).
Go to the Data Sources applet in Control Panel (usually under Administrative Tools) and select the System DSN tab.
If you have a Jet database:
- Click Add and then select the Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb) and click Finish.
- Set the Data Source Name to SoftalkBusinessServer.
- Click on Select and then browse to and select the target MDB file. This may be a file you have restored from backup or that you have moved.
- Click OK to finish creating the new DSN.
If you have a SQL Server or SQL Express database:
- Click Add and then select the SQL Server driver and then click Finish.
- Enter SoftalkBusinessServer in the Name field and either select or enter the name of your SQL server in the Server box. Remember if using SQL Express you usually have to enter the instance name, ie MACHINESQLExpress or similar.
- Click on next and set the Authentication as appropriate. Normally you would choose to use Windows NT Authentication.
- Click Next and make sure that the check box for Chanage the default database to is checked and that SoftalkBusinessServer is selected in the drop down list.
- Click Next and then click Finish.
- Click Test Data Source… and ensure the test passes, then click OK.