- You wish to move Softalk Share Server to a different computer without un-installing and re-configuring it.
- You have backed up the files as listed and wish to restore them after a server failure
NOTE: This FAQ describes the procedure for moving the Softalk Share Server to another computer. It does not describe how to move a Softalk Share Server client to another computer.
IMPORTANT: For the duration of this procedure the Outlook clients will not be able to connect to the Softalk Share Server and will not be able to access any data held on the server. You may wish to schedule this procedure for a time when no clients will require access to the server.
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs.
Identify the database being used by Softalk Share Server
- Open the Data Sources (ODBC) control panel, usually under Administrative Tools.
- Select the System DSN tab.
- Select the Softalk Business Server entry.
- Look at the Driver value there, if it is Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb) then you are using a Jet database. Click on Configure and find the Database value that should tell you where the MDB file is installed. The default location is C:Program FilesCommon FilesSoftalkDataSBS.mdb.
- If it is SQL Server then you are using Microsoft SQL Server or Microsoft SQL Server Express. Click on Configure and you will see the SQL Server being used. This is usually represented as MACHINENAMEINSTANCENAME, where the instance name is either SQLEXPRESS or the instance name selected during the setup of SQL Server.
Locate your Softalk Share Server data folder
The default location is C:Program FilesCommon FilesSoftalkData, you can check by opening REGEDIT and looking at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARESoftalkSBSSetup(dataFolder) (if running as an application) or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesSoftalk Share ServerEntries(dataFolder) (if running as a Windows service).
Make sure that the Softalk Share Server and the Softalk Share Server Administrator are stopped
You now have the information required to move your Softalk Share Server to the new computer. Make sure that Softalk Share Server and the Softalk Share Server Administrator are stopped.
Create folders on the destination machine
On the destination machine (the one you are copying to), create the Data folder at exactly the same location as above. So if the folder was in E:SoftalkData rather than the default location you must place it in the same location on the destination machine. Note that for this reason we recommend you always use the default where possible, ie C:Program FilesCommon FilesSoftalkData.
Copy data files
Where present, the following files/folders should be copied from the data folder on the source machine to the data folder on the destination machine. Note that depending on the configuration, some of the files/folders listed below may not exist.
- Folder: Refdata
- Folder: Backups
- File: BackupIndex.dat
This should be all the data files you need to copy.
If moving the database to the new machine it should be moved next
- If Softalk Share Server is using a Jet database you must copy the database file over to the new machine. Normally this is the SBS.mdb file and is located in the data folder. Move this to the new machine.
- If connecting to a SQL database (perhaps, on a database server) and you wish to continue to connect to the same server then you do not need to copy the database. You will need to connect to the appropriate server when creating the DSN later. If you wish to move your SQL Server database, please refer to the SQL Server documentation.
If you are using SQL Express then you should refer to the product documentation for the version you have installed. For SQL Express 2005 follow the ins