How do I move the data on my Softalk Share Server to another folder or drive?
You wish to move your Softalk Share Server data folder to a different drive or location on the same computer.
This FAQ applies to Softalk Share Server using a SQL Server Express database where reference files are stored outside of the database or a Jet database. It does not apply to Softalk Share Server using a SQL Server database as all data is stored in the database.
- Stop the service and close the Administrator.
- Change the data folder location.
- Use MoveDataDFiles.exe to move existing data files.
- Move the Jet database, where applicable.
- Move the SQL server database, where applicable.
Before making any changes to the Softalk Share Server installation, shutdown the Softalk Share service (or program) and close the Administrator program.
Open regedit and expand the key:
HKLMSOFTWARESoftalkSoftalk Share ServerSetup
Set the dataFolder value to your new path
If you also have a dataFolder path in the following registry location then you should set this to be the same path.
The Softalk Share service (or server program) and the Administrator may now be restarted. Softalk Share Server will now store all new reference data files in the new data folder. All existing reference data files will still be located in the original data folder.
To move existing reference data files, please perform the following procedure:
Download this utility that will move your existing reference data files MoveDataFiles.exe. It must be saved to a local folder before it can be run. It is a requirement that ASP.NET be installed.
Shutdown the Softalk Share Server and run the MoveDataFiles utility.
Set the Adjust data files for ComboBox to Softalk Share Server
Type the new data folder path in the Folder to which all data files will be transferred textbox and complete the path to the reference data folder by typing RefData at the end. For example, if the new data folder path is
Click on the MoveDataFiles button. All references to files in the database will be updated so that the files are moved and the references updated. Any files that remain after this operation are no longer referenced by the database and can be deleted.
If using a Jet database navigate to your original data folder and copy SCS.MDB to the new data folder.
Open the “Data Sources ODBC” applet from Control Panel >> Administrative Tools and click on the “System DSN” tab.
Double-click on the SoftalkBusinessServer data source and click on the Select button. Navigate to the new data folder and select the SBS.MDB database. Click OK to exit all dialogue boxes.
If it is necessary to move a SQL Server or SQL Server Express database and log file, first shutdown the Softalk Share service and close the Administrator program.
- If connecting to a SQL database (perhaps, on a database server) and you wish to continue to connect to the same server then you do not need to copy the database. You may need to connect to the appropriate server when creating the DSN later. If you wish to move your SQL Server database, please refer to the SQL Server documentation.
- If you are using SQL Express then you should refer to the product documentation for the version you have installed. To move a SQL Express 2005 database to another computer follow the instructions below. However you should note that we do not provide support for SQL Express as this is a Microsoft product.
- If not already installed, install SQL Server Management Studio Express for your SQL Express Server on the source machine.
- Download and install SQL Express and Management Studio Express on the destination machine
SQL Express and Management Studio Express download page on Microsoft.com
- Open Management Studio Express on the source machine and find the path to your SoftalkBusinessServer data files, these are usually located in C:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL ServerMSSQL.1MSSQLData
- Stop the SQL Express service, using the Services Control Panel, and copy these files to the