Compact and repair a Jet Database
- The JET Database used by Softalk Collaboration Suite is growing in size and you would like to recover space that is no longer in use in the file.
- When the Administrator is started you receive the error “Failed to access database!” and the Users and Registration Details are missing.
It is recommended to periodically compact and repair your JET database file to help improve performace and to reduce file size by recovering space from deleted items.
If you are having problems with access to the JET data then a rebuild may correct this.
Note: This information only applies to Softalk Collaboration Suite, WorkgroupMail, WorkgroupShare or Softalk Organizer installed to use a JET database.
- Stop any Softalk Collaboration Suite components you have installed. These include WorkgroupMail 8 Server, WorkgroupShare 2 Server, IIS if you are running Softalk Organizer and also the WorkgroupMail 8, WorkgroupShare 2 and Softalk Organizer administrators.
- Make a backup of your SCS data file. This is usually C:Program FilesCommon FilesSoftalkDataSCS.mdb but may also be WorkgroupShare.mdb in the WorkgroupShareData folder if you upgraded from WorkgroupShare 1. If you are not sure see below for how to find out where your Softalk Collaboration Suite data file is located.
Open the Data Sources applet in Control Panel (under Administrative Tools in the Control Panel) and select the System DSN tab..
Please Note: If a 64-bit version of Windows is installed then the x86 version of this application must be run from:
%SystemRoot%SysWOW64odbcad32.exeinstead. If you do not have this folder then you do not have a 64-bit version of Windows.
- Now click on the SoftalkCollaborationSuite data source and click configure. Check the path on the Configure screen points to the file you have backed up. If not ensure this file is backed up before you continue.
- Now click the Repair button. The default file name should be the same as the original file, click Ok to accept this. Once complete a message is displayed to confirm the repair has completed.
- Now click on Compact. The default file to compact from should be the same file name you have just repaired. Click on Ok to continue. Also select the same file to compact into and make sure the format is set to Version 4.X (this defaults to 3.X so you must change it to 4.X) and click OK. Click Yes to replace the file and wait for the compact process to complete.
- Close the Configure dialog and the Control Panel and restart the server programs that were stopped earlier.