How Do I Move an OfficeTalk ASA Database to Another Computer.
IMPORTANT: This article contains information about editing the registry. Before you edit the registry, make sure you understand how to restore it if a problem occurs.
The OfficeTalk ASA database and ASA database server must be moved to a new or existing server that may or may not have an OfficeTalk client already installed.
Prepare the new server
- If the new server is a clean system then you will need to install a fresh copy of the OfficeTalk server. This can be downloaded from OfficeTalk Setup. If the new server already has a client version of OfficeTalk installed, then you will first need to uninstall this and then reinstall the OfficeTalk server as above.
- Install OfficeTalk, choosing to use the Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere database platform.
- Once setup has completed stop the ASA database service. Open the Services applet in Control Panel (Administrative Tools) and stop the service named Adaptive Server Anywhere ? OfficeTalk.
Copy the database to the new server
- On the original OfficeTalk database server, locate the database file as defined in the FAQ Finding the Location of your ASA Database File
- On the original OfficeTalk database server stop the ASA database service. Open the Services applet in Control Panel (Administrative Tools) and stop the service named Adaptive Server Anywhere ? OfficeTalk.
- Copy the database file (otsqldb.db or otsqldbv4.db), that you located above, to the new computer. Typically, this must be restored to %systemdrive%Otalk but it can be moved to any location to which the ASA service has full access permissions. Note: Do not save the file to a mapped drive on the network as these are created when a user logs in and so will not be present when the ASA service starts.
Configure the ASA service parameters
- Using the Windows registry editor, expand the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetServicesASANYs_OfficeTalkParameters. You will find that the parameter value key is similar to:
-m -c 512M -gn 20 -n OTDBRIOTDB "C:Otalkotsqldb.db"
In this example, C:Otalkotsqldb.db specifies the database file and location.
- Edit this value so that the part in quotes points to your OfficeTalk ASA database.
- Restart the ASA database server. Open the Services applet in Control Panel (Administrative Tools) and start the service named Adaptive Server Anywhere ? OfficeTalk.
If the service does not start, then refer to the FAQ: The ‘Adaptive Server Anywhere – OfficeTalk’ Service Does not Start
- Open OfficeTalk on the server computer and check that the data is that of your original OfficeTalk installation.
- IMPORTANT: It is essential that you do not start the ASA server on the computer which previously hosted the OfficeTalk database. This could cause loss of data. OfficeTalk should be uninstalled from the original OfficeTalk server. If you intend for the old OfficeTalk server to remain as a mail gateway or to be used as a client, you will need to uninstall the server installation of OfficeTalk and then re-install the OfficeTalk client.
- As ASA works using a broadcast it is not necessary to reinstall the clients in order for the clients to locate the new database server.
- It is recommended that you share the otalk folder on your new OfficeTalk server.
- Change the OTalk mainRoot on the clients according to the FAQ Setting the OfficeTalk mainRoot
- If the new OfficeTalk server is also to be the mail gateway the