How do I configure an Outlook Express 6 IMAP client to work with WorkgroupMail?
An Outlook Express 6 client must be configured to connect to WorkgroupMail using the IMAP protocol.
Open Outlook Express and configure the mail account as follows
- Click Tools, Accounts, Mail, Add and select Mail.
- Enter the name that you want displayed on your outgoing emails and click Next.
- Enter your email address and click Next.
- Select IMAP in the drop down box and enter the address (IP address or computer name) of the computer which runs WorkgroupMail into both the Incoming Mail and Outgoing Mail server boxes. Click Next.
- In the Account Name and Password fields, enter the Local account name and Local password of the user whose mail client you are configuring. You can find out the Local account name and Local password for a particular user by selecting that user in the left-hand window of the WorkgroupMail administrator and viewing the relevant information in the right-hand window. Ensure that the Logon using secure password authentication tick box is not ticked and click Next.
The option My server requires authentication can be set by editing the IMAP mail account properties and selecting the Servers tab. The authentication settings should be the same settings as the incoming mail server. (NB. WorkgroupMail must be configured to ‘Allow SMTP client authentication’ in the Administrator – Settings, Advanced).
To define the connection to the mail server edit the properties for the IMAP mail account and select the Connection tab. Make your changes and click Apply.
The new Outlook Express mail account will be displayed alongside Outlook Express Local Folders. By default it will contain an Inbox, Drafts and Sent Items folder. These folders exist on the mail server and can be viewed from other IMAP computers on your network that use the same account details. You can create additional personal folders and these will also exist on the mail server.