How do I configure an Outlook 2000 POP3 client to work with WorkgroupMail?
An Outlook 2000 client must be configured to connect to WorkgroupMail using the POP3 protocol.
This FAQ applies to Outlook 2000 in Internet Only mode. To check which mode Outlook is running in click Help, About Microsoft Outlook. Open Outlook 2000 and configure the mail account as follows
- Click Tools, Accounts, Mail, Add and select Mail.
- Enter the name that you want displayed on your outgoing emails and click Next.
- Enter your email address and click Next.
- Select POP3 in the drop down box and enter the address (IP address or computer name) of the computer which runs WorkgroupMail into both the Incoming Mail and Outgoing Mail server boxes. Click Next.
- In the Account Name and Password fields, enter the Local account name and Local password of the user whose mail client you are configuring. You can find out the Local account name and Local password for a particular user by selecting that user in the left-hand window of the WorkgroupMail administrator and viewing the relevant information in the right-hand window. Ensure that the Logon using secure password authentication tick box is not ticked and click Next.
- Select how to connect to your mail server and click Next and then Finish.
The option My server requires authentication can be set by editing the POP3 mail account properties and selecting the Servers tab. The authentication settings should be the same settings as the incoming mail server. (NB. WorkgroupMail must be configured to ‘Allow SMTP client authentication’ in the Administrator – Settings, Advanced).